The Assistant Controller assists in preparing statements, financial analysis and compliance (i.e., tax, banking, insurance, etc.) filings that follow all regulatory and accounting guidelines under the supervision of a controller and other senior finance team members, including the CFO. Responsible for identifying and preventing discrepancies and helping set up control systems, as well as assist in monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting.
An effective assistant controller has good knowledge of accounting principles. They must be organized professionals with a great eye for detail. They must be reliable and able to carry out tasks autonomously and collaboratively, hit deadlines and multi-task.
The goal is to contribute to keep the accounting and financial processes of the company up to standard and ensure accurate financial reporting and control.
- Support most aspects of accounting management (general ledger management, tax forms, reporting, etc.)
- Assist in the formulation of internal controls and policies to comply with legislation and established best practices
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements
- Assist in management of journal entries, invoices etc. and reconcile accounts for the monthly or annual closing
- Assist in the preparation of budgets or forecasts
- Participate in preparation for the annual audit / review
- Help in development of reports for management or regulatory bodies
- Review the company’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances
- Utilize accounting IT system to facilitate processes and maintain records
- Proven experience as assistant controller or other similar position
- Solid knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and regulations
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closure, reporting etc.)
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially excel) and accounting software (e.g. SAP)
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and problem-solving ability
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field is preferred
- Professional certification (e.g. CPA) is a plus